Jackass Canyon
This spring I started floating the idea of hiking down Jackass Canyon with my Dad and brother. Jackass Canyon leads to the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon National Park. It is upstream from the North and South Rims and down river of Lee's Ferry.
Trent and my dad had done the trip a couple of times before and always raved about the fishing on Colorado River and the hike. I thought Brighton and Adaira were ready for an adventure and I wanted to go as well.
Trent and my dad had done the trip a couple of times before and always raved about the fishing on Colorado River and the hike. I thought Brighton and Adaira were ready for an adventure and I wanted to go as well.
Just before leaving
My kids have been decent hikers the few times we went to South Mountain or near Kinder Springs. Trent and Dad said the hike was less than three miles so I am thinking it can't be that bad, right?
Adaira - our beautiful hiking girl
I brought along my GPS watch and it was actually just under two miles after dropping into the canyon until we hit the river. How long did it take to travel those two miles?
So many awesome places to take photos. This was an impressive canyon (one day when I finally make it to the Grand Canyon on my Rim to Rim to Rim run I will be amazed I am sure).
It took us three hours to travel two miles. A very slow pace in my opinion but Trent and I had very heavy bags, Dad had a a large bag and age against him, plus Brighton and Adaira had short legs and needed help with the big steps/jumps.
With no path to follow, in many places we had to try several different routes before proceeding. Some were just to far to climb down.
Not far into our decent on a huge chunk of canyon wall that crashed down prior to our arrival.
I was not a fan of taking off and putting on our heavy bags but at least three times on the way down we had to take them off.
This was one such place. We had to take off our bags and let them down. Then I tied a rope around the kids and let them down to Trent in the middle then my dad at the bottom.
When the kids disappeared at night I found them in the tent, reading. In this, Brighton sets a good example for Adaira even if he scowls for the picture.
We camped in sand from the canyon and river. It got everywhere and in everything. I think Brighton gets his ears from his mom's side. Though here they are highly exaggerated by the headband light.
We meant to fish the first day we got there but we had to get some water (purify it from the river) which took most of the daylight and set up camp.
Ready to head to the river
Saturday we did manage to do some fishing. I should say the kids managed to fish. I was busy keeping worms on their hooks, untangling lines, and dealing with other fish related issues. Adaira took to casting with no input from me or prior practice. I think next time, I'll make them learn to bait their own hooks.
Brighton caught six fish, two that were big enough to keep and eat. Brighton and Adaira both actually seemed to like eating the fish we caught. I "caught" one fish. I baited all three poles and took the kids back to the camp site because they were bored. When I came back I found a fish large enough to eat on my hook.
Adaira's only catch!
We decided to hike out a day early because Trent's water purifier stopped functioning. The river water was dirty and the personal purifier didn't make enough for the five of us. Rather than chance it we hiked out early and had plenty of water to get back.
Surprisingly the filtered river water tasted pretty good, especially when hiking out of a canyon.
My beauty queen and silly boy. Adaira was the best hiker of the group. She was always wanting to be in front or just behind Uncle Trent. She was constantly having to tell us to hurry up.
It's easy to get lost in the immensity of the place. It reminded me of being in a big city surrounded by skyscrapers. Many places had recent rock falls. Trent and Dad hadn't been there in 12 years or so and a new large rock required a second rope decent that they hadn't seen the last time they hiked.
The week leading up to the trip I was getting nervous. Worried about the kids making the hike, enjoying fishing, so many things. On the way down I worried more than on the way out. The kids did fine and I had to limit my worries to moments when a fall would seriously maim or kill them OR when they would get muddy. Hey, you have to draw a line somewhere! Plus the mud, once on your shoes, really makes your footing slippery.
We made it out just before sunset, any later and it would have been dangerous.
In all it was a great trip. I was grateful to have Trent to help carry a heavy load, and that my kids could spend some time with their Grandpa. I am glad there were only minor bumps and bruises, unless my dad is hiding more serious injury :-) I am looking for hiking backpacks for the kids with plans to go again real soon. Or maybe wait for the baby to come and spring to warm things back up. . .
Justin
Comments