Justin & his Trees

I got my tree!

I learned from a coworker that a man is judged by the tech (TV, Computer network etc.) in his home. While he was being partially facetious, I know that tech isn't high on my priority list. In fact it is probably higher on Audra's list than it is on mine. What is on my list? The Silk Floss Tree!

While on my mission in Argentina (1998-2000) I fell in love with this tree. It is called Palo Borracho or "Drunk Stick or Tree". I think the drunk part comes from a bulging trunk that on many trees looks like a fat belly. While attending ASU (2002-2003) I saw a Silk Floss Tree on campus. I even saved seeds to try to grow my own. I knew I wanted one in my yard someday. I have known for over a year that Bakers Nurseries in Phoenix sells this tree.


Yesterday I finally purchased it. See this trunk beginning to bulge?
Older trees (I couldn't find a good picture online, look really unique). This tree is not good for climbing due to the nasty fat thorns. Unlike the nasty Palo Verde which are everywhere, I am happy to make an exemption to my no thorny trees rule for this baby. It also has nice flowers in the fall.





I also bought a Fan Tex Ash to replace one we lost in front.












a Magnolia to go off our back patio

These should grow ok, though it may take a while to get established. It will remind us of Georgia.








Last but not least is a Chaste Vitex.
I purchased the trees at 40th Street and Thomas in Phoenix and did not get over 40 MPH, usually between 30-35 MPH all the way home. I took surface streets and it took about an hour. I planted all but the Vitex last night. I didn't get to sleep until 1:00 AM.

While thinking about it, every tree and plant on this property was planted by Audra or I. Every tree that was on the property when we purchased it has been removed (most are the nasty Palo Verdes which I still hunt. I pulled out another one last night). We have Ash Trees, Apple Trees, Peach Trees, Grape Vines, Evergreen Elms, Sissoos, Chinese Pistaches, and now a Silk Floss Tree, a Magnolia and a Chaste Vitex tree. This winter I plan on adding pecan, apricot, and plum trees. In the spring I will plant our citrus trees.

If I had enough money I might pay someone to do all of this work, but I do get something out of all of this. I selected and planted every tree. Actually Audra definitely helped to do the research on the trees, but I picked most of them out from the nursery and planted all of them, some with physical help from Audra and some with emotional support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daisy's baptism day