Tree update!!!

My plan was to wait until the fall to plant Citrus and finish the front by adding the granite needed at the driveway and around the house. I found out the we can't get the granite until next week when we will be gone. Then I asked at a nursery about planting citrus now vs. in the fall. They said they plant citrus all through the summer and guarantee them. So without having to move 10 tons of granite I decided to look for citrus to plant this weekend.

I went to Lowes this morning and found a Trovia and Valencia Orange, a Lisbon Lemon, Flame Red Grapefruit, and a Clementine Tangerine (Mandarin). These are all on semi-dwarf root stock. I also picked up a Berass Lime on standard rootstock. My goal is for them to all be about the same size and since the lime is smaller anyway I gave it a standard size rootstock to the rest semi-dwarf rootstock. Hopefully it will work and look semi-uniform.

We had family over tonight and I smoked ribs all day. I worked in the yard as I had time between cooking and watching Dale as Audra took the kids to the Children's Museum for Brighton's birthday (separate post for that coming soon). I worked until about 9:00 PM planting the last two trees because irrigation is coming at 4:00 AM tomorrow, and I wanted them in the ground. I also had to fix a berm so we won't flood the neighbors.

I spoke with my brother-in-law tonight and he was asking what was hanging from the ceiling. I said it was newspaper where the painter placed paper up there in the hole for the surround sound. I haven't put in the surround sound speakers, we have an old hand-me-down TV, and our computer is old and having issues, but dang-it we got our fruit trees in! With this half dozen citrus trees we added a total of 15 fruit/nut trees and a grape vine this year for a total of 19 fruit/nut trees and 3 grape vines.

I will likely lose the dwarf nectarine tree as the neighbor who was helping me move a dirt pile for the citrus trees accidentally ran over it with the tractor. I have been looking at the Garden Prince Almond tree as a possible replacement. Audra is patient with me. I go crazy and spend money on trees. I guess it's better than gambling or spending money on fast food. In the end we save money right? Fresh fruit! Plus whatever we don't eat the chickens will gladly consume.

Thanks for reading. I realize if you made it this far you are a patient person and you now understand that Audra is a very patient person :-) I am a wannabe greenthumber. I am sure Audra will make the next post more exciting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daisy's baptism day